Monday, January 21, 2008

Span 312 "Facundo"

Starting the novel “Facundo” I was a bit confused about the history and culture surrounding the events of Rosas’s dictatorship and Facundo’s rule. I found the beginning introduction to be a bit helpful but I still do not feel as though I know how society was during the power of the Gauchos. Saramiento’s writing, having no background knowledge of the events in Argentina, at first seemed quite raciest and ethnocentric. He writes about the barbarianism and the stupidity of groups of inhabitants that were asserting power and from his writing I felt like he was completely dehumanizing them. For example he writes “Country life, then, has developed the gaucho’s physical facilities, but none of his intelligence…” Also he states that the Gaucho does not set his sight upon moral desires, an intellectual education, or goals of climbing above poverty. He clearly has little respect for their existence and place in Argentinean society. They are a barrier to progression, national unification, social reform, and modernity. While I understand these truths about the Gauchos (them being violent and uneducated) and a bit of the perspective that Saramiento is coming from, I’m not sure if I agree with some of this other ideas on how to reform Argentina. Clearly the Gauchos were been used as a form of violence and in order to keep control in the hands of dictators such as Rosas and Facundo but Saramiento does not simply believe that these groups need to be controlled. He also believes that immigration from Europe will improve the country and I got the sense that he desired this from a culturally prejudiced point of view. I think immigration from a country that is far more advanced can seem like a quick fix to a country that is new and still clinging to traditions. I think that potential immigrants need to not only be seen as what can change Argentina. Saramiento also states though that education is also a necessary factor to create change. Also I have the concern that Saramiento may not value the indigenous and cultural traditions that bring a rich history to the region and that may be lost through his prospective changes.

1 comment:

Erica Byrne said...

I’m not a history enthusiast, and so I also wasn’t very well informed regarding the background knowledge of Argentina. I found your point about “immigration from a country that is far more advanced can seem like a quick fix” to be very interesting. You said that “potential immigrants need to not only be seen as what can change Argentina”, in your opinion, what makes a good candidate for immigration to Argentina?