Friday, January 25, 2008
Span 312 "The President"
Starting the novel "The President" I was pleasantly surprised to find that this novel is written in a completely different style than "Facundo." Not only did it not begin with a drawn out history of a nation's social and political history, but it immediately introduced the reader to some fascinating fictional characters. I must admit I found the beginning of the novel a bit hard to get into as well as to follow. I was counting on an introduction to provide a brief history surrounding the Guatemalan dictatorship which is central to the story. Asturias immediately draws the reader into everyday Guatemala life, in both his descriptions of the lowest class, the merchant class, and the ruling political class. One aspect that I found to be very compelling was his writing on the homeless and psychologically damaged within urban society. His characterization of Zany, Flatfoot, Mosquito is very well done and he shows how wretched there reality really is. I found these sections not only a bit hard to read but also eye opening. Asturias shows that it is the poor, dependent, and disabled that are the most directly affected by the President's brutal totalitarian regime. These men have no advocates and are disposed of cruelly (for example when Zany is brutally shot because he has rabies). Asturias describes them as living like rats, running from place to place, but with no real goal or place to be protected. They are not trusted or seen as any use to society. An example of this is when Mosquito, the blind man is murdered because he is suspected of attack. The police do not listen to his story or even realize that his is blind and therefor no use to them; but they do not even realize this until after he is dead. A good way to tell of a countries ruling nature is to look at the lowest class. How are they treated? What resources are available to them to overcome their situation? In the case of Guatemala under this dictatorship regime the poor are left to fend for themselves and die. I think Asturias uses this homeless and mentally ill class to prove his point in this novel of the severity of the present dictatorship regime. He starts his novel with the introduction of these characters and scatters them throughout the first part of the novel.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Rebecca, just a technical note to tag or "label" this post span312. That makes it easy for others to locate what you've written.
Jon
I also found pretty interesting when the mosquito is forced to tell the truth even though he is actually blind and does not have any human way of knowing who killed the general. To me it represents how evil this dictatorship actually is. Not only does Asturias try to illustrate the lower oppressed class, but the fact that he is blind and is still murdered shows how despicable is the influence of dictatorships on society.
I completely agree with your statements concerning the beginning of the novel. Not only was it a switch from the literary style of Facundo, the characterization also appeared a bit unclear at the beginning. But I'm also enjoying The President more than Facundo. :)
And I also definitely agree with the idea of eye-opening characterization. I found myself reacting strongly to his descriptions of poverty and violence.
I agree, that at times I find this book hard to follow. On the contrary though, I found this book easier to get into because there was no history on Guatemala to start. What a nice break from all the history in Facundo, to just get into a novel with interesting characters.
I was also very appreciative that this novel doesn’t follow the same pattern as Facundo. I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who found it hard to get into the beginning of the novel because I felt like so many names were being thrown at me... terrible memories of Facundo! However, once I did get into it, I found the novel hard to put down.
i agree with what you're saying, because it is always the poor who suffers in a dictatorship, and the elite/high class excel. one thing i didn't completely understand was how angel face helped Zany. if angel face was part of the president's regime, then why would he give money to someone like zany? maybe i understood something wrong, but i think there might be an important point in there.
Post a Comment