Reading “I the Supreme” has been unlike any other book I have encountered. The levels of narration I find to be hard to follow and I frequently forget who is speaking. The Supreme has struck me as quite the opposite of the dictator Facundo. The Supreme is highly intelligent and I get the sense that he can read people very well. He is civilized and he knows his subjects. When he speaks to Patino he knows exactly what to say to get his attention and make him understand himself. One passage that I found to my most interesting on the character of the Supreme was when he recounts his past. Specifically he recalls a story to Patino about his childhood and how he came across a skull in an excavation site. The reader can see traces of his dictatorial style at a young age. He is fascinated by the skull and what it once held and keeps it, “Impossible for there to have been room for it in the earth. A world within the world!” (81). He recalls that the skull spoke to him and that they both had a conversation about the skull’s past and fate. The skull advises him to stay in his homeland and not to follow foolish material ambitions. The reader can get a sense that the child of the Supreme is ambitious for power over men. The skull tells him “The sad thing about it is that in this world the powerful have the ability to hang or be hanged as they choose” (81). The Supreme is intelligent to know what power means. It is not just riches but influence over people. Unlike Facundo he creates boundaries in society and a hyper-structure of rigid rules. The strange story he tells to Patino gave the impression that he was proud of his past. Earlier in the novel he boasts to having an impeccable memory. The Supreme is not only boastful of his current position but he is proud of his journey to power and to create his “mad vision” of an ordered society.
2 comments:
I completely agree with you that the Supreme seems very intelligent but I wonder, can a dictator ever be stupid? Paranoid-yes, brutal-yes but I can't help but think that to get into a position of such immense power a dictator must be a very good reader of people, quite manipulative and at least at time, very charasmatic. I think that to obtain and maintain so much control and power, one would have to be very intelligent indeed!
I agree with Monica's comment above and I also wanted to comment briefly on your observation that El Supremo is well educated in contrast to most of htose around him. This provides some of the humour in the book. I especially liked the part when he talks to one of the soldiers about Montesquieu's thoughts on government and the soldier tells him to invite "Monteswhoever" and offer him a post as an advisor...Why not? Perhaps the Supreme would makeroom for another talking skull...
Post a Comment